Saturday, September 21, 2013

Berg's Wozzeck



            The very first time I had ever heard Berg’s Wozzeck was on Monday afternoon when I watched a performance of it in the listening room upstairs in Jensen.  I can only imagine what my face must have looked like throughout the hour and 40 minutes of the opera.  This opera is unlike anything I have ever heard or seen before in my 21 years of life.  Without any background information on the work, I was at a complete loss as to how this positions itself into my musical world.  After a week of studying both Berg and his opera, however, I now see that there are plenty of musical elements from other eras in this opera that I know, and the juxtaposition of these with the new stylistic ideas of the contemporary era make this opera a very interesting work.
            The images from the Wagner train station, the Secessionist building, and Klimt's "The Kiss," are all examples that combine old ideas with new ones.  Berg’s Wozzeck does the same thing.  In Willi Reich’s article in The Musical Quarterly, he created a chart that shows the scheme of the musical forms in the opera.  While Wozzeck is an atonal work, the musical forms Berg used in most of the opera are those most associated with tonal music.  In the first act, Scene 1 is a Suite, Scene 2 a Rhapsody, Scene 3 a Military March and Cradle Song, Scene 4 a Passacaglia, and Scene 5 an Andante Affetuoso.  When listening to the opera, however, the audience doesn’t hear these forms.  Berg commented on this in an interview found at the end of Reich’s article.
 “What I do consider my particular accomplishment is this. No one in the audience, no matter how aware he may be of the musical forms contained in the framework of the opera, of the precision and logic with which it has been worked out, no one, from the moment the curtain parts until it closes for the last time, pays any attention to the various fugues, inventions, suites, sonata movements, variations, and passacaglias about which so much has been written.” 
            I found this to be true when we listened to Marie’s Cradle Song from Act 1.  When just listening to the song, it sounds similar to the rest of the opera: atonal and weird.  However, when analyzing the song, there are tonal sounding aspects to it.  There are quartal and quintal harmonies found in places such as measures 425 and 426.  While this obviously isn’t tonally written, the movements of fourths and fifths create a soft, pretty sound to this lullaby.  In measure 420, there is an actual chord, an FM7.  Little touches like these combine the old ideas with the new that the images from earlier are like as well.
            Overall, between the form of the scenes throughout the opera and the little tonal touches in some of the music, Berg creates in Wozzeck a collaboration of old and new ideas.  Because this isn’t immediately evident when the audience listens to the opera the first time, first impressions can be like mine was: What exactly am I watching?  However, once the opera is looked at closer, it become a piece of work that, despite Berg’s argument that he is a reformer of the opera through such innovations, does actually do this.

5 comments:

  1. I really like the Berg quote you used from the Reich article, as I hadn't reread that one when writing my blog. It's an interesting idea: that Berg almost intentionally tried to hide the familiar, traditional forms he was using from the audience through atonality, forcing them to focus on the action of stage and just let the music wash over them, accenting the action without them really being aware of it. I also agree with you- I thought the quartal/quintal harmonies sounded surprisingly gentle and enjoyable, even though they weren't exactly tonal. And although it sounds like I enjoyed Wozzeck more than you did, I agree with you- without a week of studying it I would have been hard pressed to figure out where this opera fit in terms of historical and cultural context, and how I ought to mentally classify it and relate to it. Interesting post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was my first time watching too, and I'm sure my face looked similar to yours! He really did a good job of hiding the familiar forms, and I'm sure that people who didn't take the time to analyze Wozzeck wouldn't have noticed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also really liked the quote from Berg that you used. He almost seems to be critical of those who deeply analyze his music and discuss his forms. From the quote I sense that he used these forms as the genesis of each section, but then drenched them in his own musical ideas and colors.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice analysis - Berg really was writing music for the stage, so even when it sounds "weird" it may sound it's actually not as far out of the norm as it might seem at first.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Tanya--your classmates have given you some interesting things to consider. One thing you tend to do (at least, you've done it in two posts thus far) is undermine your own argument by first stating what seems to be a negative attribute, and then following up with evidence that seems to contradict it. In other words, I'm not sure it's useful to describe the lullaby as "atonal and weird" and then proceed to argue that it's actually something else.

    ReplyDelete