Monday, November 25, 2013

Coltrane Blog Post







Much like the painting by Pat Steir, I created a work of art that showed my process in the end result.  I used a crayon and pencil medium, which is represented in the lower left-hand part of the picture. Up the side of the left are boxes of the colors utilized in the picture, along with a rough pencil sketch of the leaf I was replicating through the picture. The purpose of this work is to see a leaf through the stages of its life, from green and newly alive to brown and dead. If I could expand on it, there would be more leafs, and a more subtle change of colors throughout the cycle.  The process to creating this idea is much like Coltrane's musical sketch, where you get an idea of what he's planning, a riff of the music, and then notes in the margins explaining his thought processes and where he would be going with the work.

5 comments:

  1. I like that you showed the leaf through it's life cycle rather than just several leaves at the same time of year. I think it adds an interesting dimension to the work. I also like that you included the pencil and crayon, the instruments you used to create the work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice connection between art and music! I love the fact that each leaf has roughly the same shape but undergoes a change in color, and that you draw parallels between this and Coltrane's use of musical motives in the four movements of A Love Supreme, where the underlying patterns (notes, rhythm, etc) he bases his improvisations on remain constant, but the actual improvised melody is constantly changing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the concept of a leaf through the various stages of life. Do you plan on also including the budding and decomposing of the leaf as well?
    I like that you want to include more subtle changes in your music just as Coltrane has subtleties in his performance that you may not pick up from his sketch, or understand the full effect of it until it is performed. (For instance his "A love supreme" chant at the end isn't really effective just on paper, but when it is in the context of performance, it is effective.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very nice, Tanya. I like both the concept and the way you executed it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I also appreciate how you expanded on the cyclical, sequential aspects of Coltrane's compositions and improvisations. Good job!

    ReplyDelete